Wednesday, September 23, 2009

memories as character builders


Remembering

I was in a convenience
store  on the way home and
in my hand appeared a grocery
list of my broken dreams.
I walked further into the
store,  “ Clean up on aisle three”
said the voice overhead in
reference to that smoldering  
summer I watched the
trees with falling
leaves made up of moments
that used to be as familiar as my
morning routine. One by one
they  fell to the ground
as the moment passed and became
past .

The gentle breeze caressed my face
and brought with it a scent that clung to my
clothes and transported me to that night
 we spent hours learning about each other
learning about ourselves.
We  looked up and the sky
had already danced with the moon
and dawn was taking its turn
for  only for a few moments
as the sky was saving its last
dance for the sun.

Did you know that the sidewalk
is concrete blocks of feelings
forever cemented and watermarked
on all the versions and definitions
of who I am and  who I will become.
I walked, losing and finding
 myself all at once. Remembering.






Reverence


The moment I learned to love,  
You tacked my beating heart on your wall.
From time to time you would 
wipe the pool of dripping blood
 never pausing to consider why its bleeding 
You’re used to the beating echos;
background music to your mundane 
routine, an everyday reminder of your worth. 

You are so carefree, never a thought to the day I would 
stop beating, its suffocating  loneliness,

I’ve been so thoughtless

I filled the open wound in my chest
with memories of our time on the last 
day of our world. Reverence was spelled out 
with each  stroke of your rough hands on my anticipating skin. 
Together, tangled, twittering in the overarching moment 
between, "I  belong with you, we were meant to be" and 
"I know your heartbeat, it’s not in tune with mine.

I'm Sorry

Other rough hands have made that faithful journey 
along my skin, teachers on  how to spell comfort, 
passion, regret, never reverence, never lasting, 
never forever.






Memories are tricky things. On a good day I can barely remember where I put my phone, keys and sometimes my sanity. I wrote these poems a long time ago and I forgot for while that I had written them because its not what I do. . The funny thing is I remember the exact feeling and moment in which I wrote these. They were stories that had to be told and I couldn't keep in. So I took pen to paper and when I looked down this was what was left. I am very proud of them. They were written months apart but the share the memories thing I didn't notice until writing this.  I am fascinated by memories, they are important to me in some way that I can't explain but I guess that's part of the journey. 

1 comment:

  1. hithy, i love you. your words are so beautiful! you are amazing

    ReplyDelete